Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Night Before

The night before is always daunting. You know what I'm talking about -- when you were a kid, and you went to summer camp for the first time, how did you feel the night before? I was terrified and nauseatingly excited, that butterfly excitement that makes you unable to eat or breathe in all the way.  I still get that feeling; I have it today. 

We leave tomorrow to begin our negotiations with the concrete jungle. When I get really anxious about something, all I want to do is sit in the middle of a room and hug my knees and picture how it'll go, over and over and over, like mental rehearsal will make the actual experience all okay. This tendency can be debilitating, however, since there are 1,000 little things that come with leaving bills, a house, and 4 animals behind.  So I'm resisting the urge to let my inner autism get the best of me. 

So here's to anticipation. Here's to that nervous not-sleep that precedes long trips and possibilities.  

No comments: